The historic roots of the St. Peter Stiftskulinarum stretch back a long way into history. This location shrouded in legend is one of the oldest walls in Salzburg. Yes, even Faust is said to have visited the “Stiftskeller” (abbey cellar), as it was then known, in person.

The Stiftskulinarum is situated in the heart of Salzburg old town in the monastery complex of the Benedictine archabbey of St. Peter. In the year 803, the St. Peter “abbey cellar” was mentioned in the records for the first time by Alcuin of York, a courtier of Charlemagne. In the 11th century, the focus was on the wine trade: Leopold VI the Glorious took the monastery of St. Peter under his protection and permitted the export of 40 wagon loads of wine from Austria per year and made a promise. It was in 1517 that Abbot Wolfgang Walcher built a rock cellar with access to the abbey court.

The excavated rocks were used in the construction of the mill at the abbey bakery. In 1527 the abbot had Chillian Pitricher the wine cellar extended by a second rock cellar. Waggoners and craftsmen received a “wine penny” or “house drink” for their work. So a wine tavern gradually turned into a hotel. In the years soon after 1900 Abbot Willibald Hauthaler began to renovate the Peter cellar – it was at this time that the “Willibald Arcades” were also built. So step by step the rooms were adapted to the requirements of the times – so it’s a place whose walls are sure to be hiding more than one exciting story.

1200 year tradition…

Year of foundation 803

the St. Peter Stiftskeller is first mentioned in a document by the scholar Alkuin, a follower of Emperor Charlemagne, and is therefore considered the oldest restaurant in Europe.

1300

The St. Peter Stiftskeller is included in the history of literature by the poet and composer “Mönch von Salzburg”.

1510

Extensive enlargement – even Faust knew about the quality of this place.

1720

Transformation of the monastery cellar – nobility, bourgeoisie and clergy returned.

1763

Michael Haydn lives on the upper floor of the monastery cellar.

1803

Acquisition of “beer justice” and serving of beer. Before that, the monastery cellar was a pure wine tavern, where the fathers were only allowed to serve their own wines.

1809

During the Napoleonic Wars, soldiers of the French troops were quartered in the monastery cellar.

1903

Construction of the baroque hall and extension of the Willibaldhöhle under Abbot Willibald Hauthaler.

1918

The monastery cellar was looted during the First World War.

1992

The first lease contract in the history of the St. Peter Stiftskeller is signed. At the age of 25, Claus Haslauer accepts this great challenge as a tenant.

1996

World premiere of the famous “Mozart Dinner Concert” in the historic Baroque Hall, which since then has enjoyed great popularity with daily performances.

1999

From this point on, Veronika Kirchmair-Haslauer devotes herself to the redesign of the premises with great attention to detail.

2003

The Stiftskeller celebrates its 1200th anniversary.

2008

The kitchen and taproom of the St. Peter Stiftskeller will be brought up to the latest state of the art in an extensive conversion.

2010

St Paul Soul Food Catering joins the St Peter Stiftskeller family. This highly successful catering concept focuses on individuality, exclusivity and professional service for every event.

2013

Redesign of Willibaldhöhle and the garden.

2014

The pleasure area in the St. Peter Stiftskeller will be expanded to include the disciplines “Sous Vide” and charcoal.

2017

The St. Peter Stiftskeller has been renamed »St. Peter Stiftskulinarium«.

2019

The St. Peter Stiftskulinarium was awarded with a »Haube«.

Art is long!
And our lives are short

Vers 558 f. / Faust

schlüssel

Durchgehend geöffnet seit 803 A.D.